Friday, August 3, 2012

Cherry Ale

So I decided on brewing my first fruit flavored beer. I have always wanted to brew nice cherry ale, after having one years' ago called Cherry Rail. I did a lot of research and I figured I would find my base beer to infuse my cherry flavor. I went with a Kolsch recipe that I came up with. Although I have never brewed a kolsch beer, it alone caught my interest. I researched the history of the kolsch and found it more intriguing, so I just had to brew one. I figured I would brew 10 gallons and use 5 for the cherry and 5 for traditional Kolsch. It seems a Kolsch or a wheat is a good base to balance the fruit flavors during the secondary fermentation (according to many brewers). I racked the kolsch after one week, it tasted great. I added a 3lb can of Vinters Harvest sweet cherry puree during the rack into the second 5 gallons. Another week went by and I kegged the Kolsch; its’ a really good beer and I am happy with the base recipe. I tried the Cherry Ale during the second rack off the puree and it did not have hardly any cherry flavor. The color looked like cherry ale and a slight hint of cherry smell. After the third week I tasted the cherry ale and it still looks the same and does not have any real cherry flavor. I am going to think of a few things to infuse some cherry flavor without ruining the beer. I guess I will try something different next time. Like I said I do like the Kolsch recipe and I will brew it again soon.  I guess I can’t check this one off my bucket list yet.

No comments:

Post a Comment